Friday, October 16, 2015

Emily is 6 months!







Our sweet girl is now 6 months old, 20 pounds and almost 27 inches long! As cliché as it sounds, time has gone by too fast. I enjoy watching her grow, but I wish I could pause time for just a little bit.  
We finally got our referral for vision therapy approved by the neuro-ophthalmologist!  The structures of her eyes still look healthy and her nystagmus seems to have resolved.  Emily was diagnosed with intermittent slight exotropia, which means her eyes occasionally drift outwards.  However, I haven’t seen her eyes do that in a long time so I’m not convinced.  The neuro-ophthalmologist said she saw her left eye do it once during the exam, so we’ll agree to disagree.  They aren’t doing anything about it at this point anyway so it doesn’t matter – it just adds to her long list of diagnoses.  The main takeaway from the appointment is the diagnosis of Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment, or CVI.  Just like the seizure diagnosis (which ended up getting retracted), it made this mama’s heart a little sad, which I tell myself is silly because I’m not surprised.  I could have told you that she had it before we even had the appointment.  I’m trying to prepare myself for a lifetime of diagnoses secondary to the hydrocephalus, but is that something you can even prepare yourself for? 99% of the time, I feel we live a “normal” life and I embrace everything that Emily does or doesn’t do.  But that 1% of the time, I feel cheated, desperate to fix something I can’t fix, and knocked down.  But as always, I pick myself back up and get back to living this wonderful life with my amazing girl.  I’m starting to think I will always have to deal with that 1%.  
Whew, sorry for the rambling!  Anyway, CVI basically means the eyes work just fine; it’s the part of the brain that processes vision that is impaired.  It’s a complicated diagnosis that affects each person differently and I’m in mommy-research mode trying to find anything I can do to help Emily reach her full potential.  I’m eager to start vision therapy because they will be able to better pinpoint where her vision is lacking and what we can do to help.  Thank goodness for neuro-plasticity – some children with CVI can improve their vision with a lot of work.  Honestly I’m a little overwhelmed with this information because it’s hard to know what/how/where she sees things, and what to do to help her.  The impairment can range from not seeing objects clearly, to not seeing certain objects at all, changes in seeing colors, details, lines, shadows, depth perception, loss of peripheral vision, blind spots, etc.  I observe Emily more than I’d care to admit and I’ve noticed things that are “off.”  She clearly sees faces but I can hold a toy in front of her and it’s as if she doesn’t see it at all.  Sometimes, if it makes noise or moves, she will suddenly “see” it.  But she won’t track it from side to side, a lot of the time.  If the toy touches her chest or hands, she will grab it quickly, as if she didn’t see it before and is using touch to find it.  I don’t understand how she can make such good eye contact with us, but then doesn’t seem to see toys right in front of her, at the same distance our faces are from her.  It’s not that she doesn’t care about toys – she clearly shows excitement when playing with toys and brings them to her mouth.  Also, at this age, children typically look at an object, pick it up, mouth it, look at it again – thus learning about that object and making a schema, or “folder” for it in their brain.  Every object they explore adds and enhances that schema in their brain.  Emily only rarely looks at toys she is playing with.  In fact, as time goes on, I feel she is relying more on touch and sound and her vision isn’t playing much of a part in her playtime.  She also gets easily overwhelmed with many different objects at once, or visual clutter as it’s called in many CVI resources I’ve read.  New experiences overwhelm her, too, and she doesn’t appear to look at much when we’re out and about.  Since CVI is caused by brain damage, it can range in severity from day to day, and different times of the day.  For example, when the brain is tired or focusing on different skills, it can cause the visual area to respond even slower.  I have noticed that with Emily – sometimes she is visually attentive to something specific but then acts as if she doesn’t see the same thing at another time.  When experiencing something new, she deviates her eyes downward and to the left and I think that’s her brain’s way of coping – like it’s too much to handle.  She’s doing it more frequently, and I’m not sure what to think of it.  Moving on from CVI stuff…
To no one’s surprise, Emily loves eating pureed food!  So far, she has had rice cereal, apples, pears, prunes, chicken and avocado.  She seems to like all of them, avocado being her favorite so far.  I decided to make her food at home and I’m enjoying it! Easy peasy and cheaper than store-bought food.  
She also decided to start sleeping through the night all of a sudden, about 2 weeks ago!  With that, we moved her into her crib in her room.  She is doing better with it than mommy is!  I just miss her so much and almost can’t wait for her to wake up so I can sneak her in our bed again.  Pathetic, I know.
Stay tuned for some cute Halloween pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment